Friday, September 16, 2005

Soles Repaired free of charge

My favorite shoe repair shop closed. 

I scanned the phone book to discover that there is only one remaining shoe repair shop in our city. One place left that repairs holes in soles. I have a few pairs of shoes that I have been wearing for years. Each time the soles or heels wear out, I take them to the shoe shop for new half soles and heels. The shoes are just like new at a third of the cost of new ones. 

 \That's been my habit most of my adult life. Repair good shoes, don't throw them away. 

 Apparently, my method is not fashionable anymore. Folks are not getting their soles repaired; they are throwing away old shoes and buying new ones. Resultingly, shoe shops are going out of business. (They don't seem to repair anything: marriages, relationships, friendships; they just throw them away and get new ones.) 

 I pace, so my favorite pair of black loafers often have holes in the soles. 

The other day I felt rocks on my socks as I walked. That's when I knew I needed sole repair. I found the last shoe shop in town. The repairman looked lonely, glad to see a customer. She said I can pick up my repaired shoes Monday; they'll be like new. 

There are times when I feel like there is a hole in my soul, just like my shoes. I can feel the rocks of this world making things uncomfortable. 

 I'm glad that God hasn't gone out of business. He's still in the business of reviving worn-out souls and making them just like new. He's not in the Yellow Pages, but he is in the Book. 

My shoes will cost me about $25 Monday, but I'll have new soles. When God revives me, though, there is no bill. Jesus paid it all.

No comments: