Monday, November 28, 2005

Camping in the Woods

Last week I spent five days at camp with about 50 members of our church Boy Scout troop. I've been doing it for over 30 years.

At 56, it's getting harder. However, my wife Joslyn makes it easier, in fact camping was almost luxurious.

We bought a giant tent, a portable queen size bed, air mattress, blankets, comforters, outdoor heaters, night lights, a table for my computer (I have to do three hours of study daily even in the woods) and many of the comforts of home.

With the exception that we couldn't make a quick walk to the bathroom, it was "home" for five days.

It reminded me of the first years of our marriage 31 years ago. We lived in a shotgun house with only a bed, a refrigerator and a kitchen table. When Joslyn finished decorating and arranging, the sofaless, chairless, shotgun house appeared to be our artistic desire rather than a reflection of our poverty.

The bible says he who finds a wife, finds a "good thing."

I hope I have been as good for her as she has been for me.

No comments: