Thursday, July 29, 2010

He had life assurance but no insurance

He had no burial insurance but plenty of life assurance.

A prominent churchman will be buried this week, thanks to help from friends who have collected the money necessary to bury him. He spent a lifetime working in the church, helping the poor, and lifting the spirits of others. In fact, he used most of his personal resources in the service of others.

One of the areas of his personal life he left undone was to secure insurance on his life to bury himself and care for his wife in the event of his death. He left her with the bill for his funeral and no means of sustaining herself; she depended solely on him.

He was a dutiful husband in life. He made the ends meet. His heart was big, so big that he gave and gave and gave until there was nothing more.

Like him, there are many today without life insurance, not to mention medical coverage. With all of the other problems they have in life some have decided to roll the dice and risk each day's outcome, hoping they will never need healthcare or death coverage.

There is a bright side, though. My friend may not have had a burial insurance, but his faith bought him a "life assurance" that requires no premiums because it was paid in full on Calvary.

1 Timothy 3:13 "Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus."

I know I have the assurance of life everlasting, but I think I'll check my policies to make sure I have enough insurance to care for those I may leave behind.

I plan to pay premiums for a few more decades.

No comments: