Saturday, June 05, 2021

She removed the training wheels; I didn't know it

I had training wheels on my bicycle until I was seven years old. Every bicycle I was given always had training wheels, that is until my stepmother said I was too old to be riding a bicycle with training wheels.

She removed the training wheels from my bike, but told me not to fear, she would run along with me.


Every day I went out to ride my bike, she ran along behind me and kept talking to me. It was fun.


After a while, she ran along beside me but she did not say much except I’m here. It was fun.


One day I rode the bike and she took off running beside me. I had fun. The wind was blowing in my face and I paddled very fast. I could hear her voice in my ear saying “You can do it. Keep it up. I got you if you fall.”


When I looked over my shoulder, I saw that she was still in the front yard, waving at me, saying “You can do it. Keep it up. I got you if you fall.”


I was riding without the training wheels! I couldn't believe it! All the while I could feel her hand steadying the bike and whispering in my ear. I really didn’t need the training wheels, I just didn’t know it.


When I think about her running along beside me I think of the Lord’s promise in Psalm 118:6-7 The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I look in triumph on my enemies.


No matter what we face, we never ride into the future alone. God is always with us whispering in our ear. You can do it, keep it up. I got you if you fall.”


You don't have to ride a bike. He runs beside us every day, holding our hands, giving us confidence.


He says, "I got you if your fall."

No comments: