Sunday, April 12, 2009

Early morning people

I arose this morning at 3:30 a.m. It's Sunday morning.

I'm a morning person. I do my best thinking, planning, meditation and study early in the morning. In the evenings my batteries run down. I need about four hours sleep and I'm fully charged; so I arise early.

It's not unusual for my Facebook posts, commentaries, blogs, emails and Twitter links to be posted at 4:00 a.m. in the morning because that's one of the times each day that I block out to read an respond to the prior day's mesages. Following that I have a self imposed 90 minutes of prayer and bible study in the morning and another at the close of the day (Three hours a day).

I'm at my best early in the morning. No coffeee or energy boosters; I'm rolling at full steam between 3:30 and 4:00 a.m. By 9 a.m. my day is really rolling. By noon I'm in high gear. After p.m. I'm still rolling but attend to mostly housekeeping functions, no new ideas, fresh writing, or studying complicated ideas. By 8 p.m. I begin a slow shut down. Around 9 p.m. my final 90 minutes of of reading, prayer and bible study begins. Usually by 11ish it's lights out for me.

Traditional Black preachers end their sermons with "but, Early Sunday morning he arose from the grave." The emphasis is on "Early." For over 200 years black folks have been getting excitied when we hear "Early Sunday morning!"

Early on the morning of the resurrection Christ arose from the dead.

It seems that Jesus was an early morning person too, at least on that Sunday morning.

While the world was still asleep, He arose early to complete salvation. Even to day long before we think about our problems, he's up Early, at full steam.

Some will ask does God ever sleep?

The answer is in Psalm 121, "He that keepeth Israel neither slumbers or sleeps."

I woke up early this morning, but my Lord was alread on the job!

1 comment:

Pastor Ro said...

So its you I blame for the reason I never sleep!!! lol

No, dad I totally understand. I have a section in my book that talks about how as a child I was raised in a house with parents who woke up early in the morning. I even mention the conversations and debates we'd have at 5:00 in the morning over hot tea and coffee before school. That family tradition of getting up early has transcended to many areas in my life.

When you physically rise earlier than others, you will also rise earlier than others mentally. I know people who have to have 8-9 hours of sleep a day. Some even more than that. I don't even remember the last time I slept 5 straight hours. It is very hard for me to do that.

Most people don't really have what I call "Vision Time." You can't completely hear what God is speaking to you while people on your job are all around you. You can't hear it over the radio or the cellphone or in the company of friends at lunch. But if early in the morning is the time that I can explode creatively, then even if it is for just 3 hours... it's worth it.

It's amazing how you are still rolling at 60 years old. Most people your age are rundown period nevertheless by the end of the day. Most of their lives are rundown. I admire the way you are up on technology and current affairs when i know so many other pastors and fathers in your peer group who are simply waiting on their call from the good Lord.

Keep getting up early. The kingdom needs you and some of us have learned from you that "The Early Bird Gets The Best!"