Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Taking in the Flowers

An April freeze in Louisiana is unusual; but that's what we had last night.

The weather forecast predicted temperatures of approximately 31 degrees and the news was filled with accounts of farmers trying to protect their crops from the cold weather.

In the middle of the report was an item that made reference to the Salvation Army suspending its rules to allow repeat persons to get shelter in light of the expected cold.

My wife began a scramble to take in her pot plants that sit outside. At first she was preparing to cover them with plastic, but the newscaster said, "Don't cover your flowers with plastic," so she brought them inside.

Flowers, crops and homeless people isn't that a strange mix.

What was interesting about the newscast is that most of the report had to do with protecting flowers and crops; there was just a blurb about helping people.

In an ideal world, helping people would have been the main concern and crops and flowers last.

We should be concerned about the poor and the homeless for therein is our blessing.

There is a passage in the bible that has these words, "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in." (Matthew 25:35)

Save the crops, bring in the flowers, but let's be sure to save the "least of these first."

No comments: