Sunday, January 13, 2008

I was stingy!

Stingy! That's what we call a person who has something but will not share. There was a time when I was very stingy, tight, and miserly.

I remember when I was really stingy. I wouldn't share anything with anybody. In fact, inwardly I gloated about my own success at achieving and responded to others in a very condescending way.

I have a sneaky suspicion that others shared my childhood responses:

"You can't have any of my chips."
"You want some cookies? Buy you some, just like I did!"
"Get your own!"

Ironically, while I would not share and told many, "I ain't giving you nothing;" I was quick to say, "Gimme some."

As I got older I learned that God blesses those who share with others. I watched neighbors share food, clothing and anything they had with others. I also noticed that although they were poor they always seemed to have plenty; enough to share.

By the time I became a college student my opinion of sharing had reversed. I learned to share my time, talent and resources with others. I also noticed, that just as my friendly neighbors who shared were blessed, that I too was being blessed in the same way.

I've never had much, but always had enough to share.

So, a good way to be blessed is to share time for good causes; be a volunteer, help someone in need. Loan your talent to ventures that are worthy. Give of your finances to build great works. The blessing comes from sharing not from being stingy.

2 Corinthians 9:8 says when we share God gives us grace abundantly, "that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work."

In other words, if we share, God will see to it that we don't run out and will always have more than we need.

No comments: