Sunday, March 21, 2010

When I turn 99, it'll be fun

He turned 99 and looked well.

I attended a birthday party for a man who turned 99 years old yesterday. He was surrounded by his wife, all of his children, all of his grandchildren and great grands; all in the same place at the same time. He was alert, walked in the room and was fastidiously dressed for his 99th birthday photo. It was an inspiration.

It made me wonder about my 99th birthday. That'll be in the year 2048. Things will have changed then. I hope to be of sound mind and still planning for the future, obviously not mine, but those of my grandchildren and beyond.

What is more important than a long life is living a productive life. We should show God's love everyday, help the poor, show the lost the error of their ways and challenge injustice in high places. At the end of the day, we will be blessed.

Psalms 41:2 has a word of promise to those keep doing God's will despite advancing age, "The LORD will preserve him, and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the earth: and thou wilt not deliver him unto the will of his enemies."

As for my 99th birthday party, I think I'd like some lemon ice cream and a slice of butter soaked, home made pound cake.

After that, I'll get on my wristband computer, call up a digital visual screen and begin plans for my 100th birthday!

No comments: