Thursday, August 12, 2010

She wanted Pampers not real diapers. What's the difference?

A young lady asked me for a donation to help buy pampers for her small children. She was poor, a single parent, with no income and getting pampers became a problem. I refused to give a donation to buy Pampers, but I offered to take her to the store and buy her several dozen plain white, pre-folded diapers.

She asked me, "What's that?"

"It's a reusable diaper. You use it, wash it, dry it and you use it repeatedly," I said. "You get a couple of dozen of these and your Pamper problem is solved. When you get back on your feet and can afford it, then you buy Pampers," I said.

She looked at me as if I had cursed her. She turned down the offer for the reusable diapers and continued her search for this week's Pamper donor.

If I'm not mistaken, a Pamper is a simulated diaper, in much the same way that a paper napkin is a simulated napkin. The simulated items save time, but neither is reusable, creating a recurring expense.

Most everyone in my generation wore plain diapers. When money was tight a couple of my boys wore Pampers. We saved a lot of money using real diapers. If the young lady's response is typical of her generation, there are many who would prefer no diaper at all, rather than use a reusable diaper.

As I recall, there was a container with a lid in which soiled diapers were kept. Those that had solids were rinsed in the toilet before putting them in the container, which was soaked with bleach and water. Every two days or so the diapers were washed, dried, folded and used again...no Pampers, no cost.

Luke 16:19 says, "Luke 16:9 (MSG) "I want you to be smart in the same way—but for what is right—using every adversity to stimulate you to creative survival, to concentrate your attention on the bare essentials, so you'll live, really live, and not complacently just get by on good behavior."

It appears that often we can get our hands on what it takes for us to live, but too often we lack the will or the creativity to use what we have until we can do better.

So the young lady begs for Pampers when what she really needed was to learn how to use a diaper...along with a little abstinence.

No comments: