Thursday, May 27, 2021

I like the Temptations, but I love "Amazing Grace"

We all have favorite singers. I have several, depending on the genre.

Among R & B Singers I am a fan of the Temptations and The Ojays. I like the lyrics of their songs. I'm a James Brown fan, although he didn't do much singing; the rhythm of his music caught my attention in my youth.

I like Isaac Hayes and Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, their mix of strings and instruments catches my ear. I like the acapella harmony of "Take Six" and the tight harmony of Earth, Wind, and Fire. My wife has made me a fan of Luther Vandross.

I also like the classics. I listen to Handel's Messiah regularly. I like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and James Cleveland's Gospel Music Workshop Choir. Among the quartets, it would have to be the Mighty Clouds of Joy.

I like dramatic hymns like the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and the beautiful harmony of True Praise. Negro Spirituals rank high on my list, too.

Hymns and Anthems are my favorites. The words speak of the grace of God, his majesty, and point me to his return. When I'm alone, my Spotify account finds them all and I absorb the simple melodies and lyrics.

I'm not to keen on the modern Prosperity "bless me" songs or the "I want your body" type Hip Hop songs.

Each to his own.

Each of us has a favorite song, but when it comes to songs about the Lord, I like the majestic songs that sing about his power and his "Amazing Grace."

These songs reflect the spirit of Isaiah 24:14 “They shall lift up their voice, they shall sing for the majesty of the LORD, they shall cry aloud from the sea.

We all have songs that reflect our spirit, but there is a special place in our heart for one special song we sang when we were children.

Yes Jesus loves me, for the Bible tells me so.

Keep that song on your lips and never forget its lyrics.

They will bring you peace.

No comments: