Tuesday, May 25, 2021

They wanted a co-signer, it took me a while to figure out why

 I remember my first car. A man sold it to me for $75.00 in 1968. After about two weeks, I found out why he sold it so cheap; the engine was bad.

The loan company praised me, raised my hopes to get another car. To get the car, all I needed was a co-cosigner. I didn't know what co-signer meant, so my stepfather signed with me. I later learned that the loan for the car was made to my stepfather and not me.

He stood for me to help me get started. I paid the note $65 note each month, but I didn't know the car was really in his name.

I worked hard to make sure the note was paid every month. Then two months later, the transmission went out.

My stepfather said nothing. I worked double hard to pay for the transmission repair and worked hard to make sure that I paid the $65.00 every month on time.

It took me two years to pay for that car and I felt great to get the title put in my name. My stepfather gave me a chance to prove myself and assumed the risk if I messed up.

I did pretty good paying off that first car, but when I stood on my own, I went crazy. I charged up everything, got myself deep in debt, and by the time I was 25 I had to file bankruptcy. Despite the bankruptcy, I paid off all of my creditors. It took 12 years to pay them all.

My stepfather gave me a chance to establish credit. I blew it and had to learn a hard lesson.

Most of us learned some hard lessons along the way. We really messed up in life, love, marriage, and even faith. Thank goodness, our savior gives us second, third, fourth, and even the 490th chance.

What I learned in the school of life is something the Bible teaches us all in Ecclesiastes 5:5, "It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay."

Thank God for second chances.

No comments: