Friday, April 23, 2010

I used my cell phone at a funeral

I confess; I pulled out my phone at a funeral.

A few years ago it was a distraction to see people manipulating their cell phones during worship services; that's changing. I know it's true because I carry my bible, and over 200 study guides, dictionaries, concordances, and reference books on my phone. It's quick, convenient and efficient for me.

When I was a child I was taught the bible in the old fashioned bible drills The idea was to learn how to find bible scriptures quickly.

I was fast then, but today, I find them on my phone using my thumb even faster.

I have a library of study books, maps and translations that I paid thousands of dollars for over the years. I now have nearly every one of those books on my phone. I probably paid less than $200 to get them there; most were free.

So, recently when I attended a funeral I felt the stares of people in the audience when I pulled out my cell phone to read the passage and tapped on it to take notes during the eulogy. On second thought, it probably looked disrespectful to those from another generation.

There is a thought in Malachi 3:6 that says, "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed."

God does not change, but the technology that allows us to know him, study his word and feel his presence has changed. Same God, different day-different way.

The times are changing.

I wasn't the only one at that funeral with a cell phone. Sitting behind the speaker, I noticed that he read his scripture from a cell phone, too.

I rest my case.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually had a visitor to email me after attending one of my services. She was very upset. She says the people in your church are on their phones all through your sermon. She said during devotion people weren't even paying attention. Thru were all looking at their cellphones.. I explained to her 75% of my church is between 25-45 years old. They are part of the cellphone movement. As a matter of fact the vision of my church is based on technology and this fast adapting generation. She didn't get it. I told her they were reading the scriptures on their phones and she didn't believe me. The poor lady never came again. Wow!