Tuesday, January 06, 2015

My enemy's enemy is my friend

  There is an old proverb that says, “The friends of my friends are my friends also, and the enemies of my friends are also my enemies, but the enemies of my enemies are my friends.”

  It’s a strange twist of relationships, bedfellows and associates, but it usually proves true. We tend to like the people who are friends with our friends. We are uneasy around people who enemies of our friends and we have a tendency to cozy up to anyone who dislikes the same people we dislike.

  That’s the reason why people who often disagree on one issue may find themselves on the same side if they have a common enemy.

  A children’s song has these lyrics, “The more we get together the happier we’ll be, for your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends. The more we get together the happier we’ll be.”

   In John 17:10 Jesus prays to God for the safety and protection of his friends or disciples. He says, “And all of mine are thine and all of thine or mine; I am glorified in them.” He asked God to consider believers as friends of God because any friend of the cross is a friend to God. In essence he said, “My friends are your friends and your friends are my friends.”

   God showers us with favor and blessings because we love, respect and promote his son. That connection explains how knowing Christ puts us into the fellowship circle of the Creator who is in a position to help us as we help further his kingdom.

   Jesus is our friend.
   Jesus says to God, help my friends by showering them with favor and grace.
   God says, any friend of my son is a friend of mine.

   And the blessings come…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about the friends of your enemy?