Saturday, August 20, 2005

I Had Chit'lins Today

I enjoy the fine culinary tastes of the best of our people, but every now and then I get a hunger for some real food.

What's "real" food? Pigtails, pig ears, pig feet, tongue, trite, brains, ham, cracklins, and of course chit'lins. Combine that with mustard greens, collard greens, corn bread, rice and gravy, sweet potatoes and a tall glass of water and you're eating high on the hog.

So, I stopped in a soul food restuarant today. I ordered myself a plate of chit'lins, mustard greens, sweet potatoes, rice and gravy and cornbread. It was a feast worthy of a polite and secretive belch. I broke every health and etiquette rule in the book!

I had grease on my mouth, so I know it was good!

Jesus talked about a different kind of hunger. Hunger for righteousness and thirst for the Word of God. He promised that those who feed their spirits on his word would never hunger or thirst. I hunger for the Gospel too. I thirst for that too.

However, I still crave a big bowl of collard greens cooked with ham hocks and served with hot buttered cornbread.

I don't need a fork, I'll eat that with my fingers!

I'm so Countreeeeeee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's alright every now and then to satisfy your craving for that good ole'down home meal.Today is September 5th,2005 and I just stumbled across your site,it is very inspiring to me.I too am doing what I can to help the evacuees that have come to Memphis,Tn.God bless you and your family.