Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Two Mothers?

I'm still trying to understand yesterday's Supreme Court ruling in California recognizing two lesbians as the mothers of a set of twins.

With donated sperm and ova donated from one of the "mothers" a set of twins was born. The couple broke up later and one of the "mothers" sued for parental rights. California says the lesbian petitioner is indeed a "mom" with all the responsibilities and rights of a mom. So the twins have two mothers.

I was reared by a whole community of mothers. Before I was seven, I lived in a dozen or more homes, with a dozen or more mothers. My father had custody and he often paid people to keep me in their homes.

When I spent the summer on the plantation with my sharecropper grandparents in Panterburn Mississippi there was a grandmother and a countryside filled with mothers.

When I came to church at Tabernacle there were dozens of mothers, all of whom who took an interest in me. The lady across the street from me became my mother too. In fact, I moved in her house for several years. There were more.

They were what Hiliary Clinton calls the mothers of the "village." They looked out for me.

I thought about something ele. The California twins had one father, a sperm donor. However, when a person accepts Christ he has one father, and a lot of brothers and sisters, and mothers too.

Even if our parents, lesbian or otherwise, give us difficult situations to live with, like having two mothers. If we know Jesus, we still have one father...

Who cares.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh i care because there is a lot of mess, that is not of Christ! Now we both know that this is not right and we need to pray about this. And pray for those twins, because they will be confused when they grow up.