Saturday, July 16, 2005

After 24 years, The bottle was empty

After 10 hours on an airplane, it was good to touch ground in Monroe yesterday.

The warmth and beauty of Hawaii is a nice post card memory, but Dorothy had it right, "There's no place like home."

When we entered the airport all of the youth were met by their parents with smiles and hugs. My wife and I were met by our luggage. We loaded it all in our vehicle and made it home.

There were newspapers and mail stacked neatly inside by my youngest son looked after things while were away. Everything was just as we left it.

The cold that my wife, Joslyn, wrestled with during the whole trip, came down hard on her once we made it home. She was coughing and weazing something terrible. She tried all of the medicines we usually use for colds, but they didn't work.

I would have made her a hot "totty" (A tea with a shot of whiskey) but the 5th of whiskey that we used for 24 years for such occasions was gone. It was given to us by an elderly woman who told us about "hot totties." It took 24 years for us to use it up. I could have bought one in Hawaii but it would have been my luck for someone to see me buying a fifth of Whiskey on a church trip in Honolulu. Neither was I about to be seen standing in a liquor store buying a 5th of whiskey at 1 a.m. in the morning in Monroe! Try to explain that on Sunday morning!

So at 1:45 a.m. this morning I was standing in Walmart with two bottles of Night time Nyquil. It wouldn't be as effective as the "Hot Totty" but it would have to do.

She coughed and weazed for a while until the NyQuil kicked in. About 2:30 this morning I finally dozed off too.

It was a great trip. The Lord favored us with a safe journey and return.

Before I dozed off I had a very silly thought, "I have to figure out a way to get another 5th without standing in line at the liquor store. At age 56, the next one will have to last about 30 or 40 years."

As I smiled to myself, I said, "Maybe someone will send me one, like I was given the first one. Home remedies beat Nyquil anytime." Then I dozed off to sleep

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol thats funny! Did u ever get your fifth?? I will get u one! What kind of tea to use? I've never made a hot todddy but it sounds like it works, old remedies usually do