Tuesday, July 26, 2005

He wore flip flops to church

I read the morning paper today and saw another in a series of editorials I've been reading on the internet, in newspapers and TV news about the the young ladies who wore flip flops to the White House a while back.

The articles hit home because Sunday, one of the youth of our congregation came to worship wearing short pants and flip flops.

On one side the young man is very active in our congregation, volunteers, studies and lives a pretty straight life. He has a fascination with flip flop shoes. He has a pair to match everything: plain flip flops, designer flip flops; etc.

On the other hand I feel like I have failed him. I have taken him half way around the world and given him the best instruction I know; but somehow I can't get it over that there are standards beyond his own. The same rings true with others concerning sagging pants, gold plated teeth, and hoochie mama dresses.

The WORD says that there is a way that seems right to men. Until we can see with spiritual eyes what we do always seems right, if the only persons to be pleased are ourselves. When God is left out of the picture, anything goes.

The young ladies who wore flip flops to the White House fouled up a golden opportunity. If they failed to learn when and where to wear flip flops; then there are probably other social graces they haven't learn either.

I feel compelled to be sure that those who are around me won't get invited to the White House; or worse become President wearing flip flops.

No comments: