Friday, July 22, 2005

The Bald Heads

I went to the Louisiana Baptist Convention yesterday. The President, Dr. Harry Blake, gave his address. It was dynamic and powerful.

He is a good looking 70 plus man who likes to make jokes about his bald head. He usually gets plenty of laughs when he talks about other leaders in the convention who are also bald headed.

As I looked across the stage it dawned on me that nearly all of the leaders of the convention were either gray headed or bald headed; and all men(Except for the Women's Deparment Leader).

There was a noticeable absence of young, non-traditional pastors; and since the convention does not embrace women preachers, a noted abscence of female ministers. (Those who were there were not recognized as such).

Then it dawned on me that I was a gray head, everyone on my row was a gray head or bald head and the women who made up the majority of the crowd, were not recognized at all.

The spoken message of the President was euphoric.

The unspoken message of the bald heads was troubling.

No comments: