Saturday, July 30, 2005

Another Case of Popcorn Today

I bought a case of popcorn yesterday. It's the kind in the packages complete with the oil and popcorn salt in the same package. I buy popcorn by the case. I don't like micro-wave popcorn. Either pop it in a pot on the stove or churn it out of a popcorn machine.

So, I gave myself a present a few years ago. I bought a popcorn; just like the one in the movies. It's always filled with hot, fresh kernels. When I walk in my door the smell of popcorn meets me everyday. It's my favorite snack.

The problem is that my favorite snack often replaces my meals. Even though it's low on calories and has plenty of fiber, it's short on protein. It's quick, convenient and tasty, but not very nutritious. It's supposed to be a snack; not a meal.

There was a time when I tried to exist spiritually on snacks; everything really nourshing took too long or had a high cost. The problem with snacks, you know, a little praise here, a little worship there; a bible scripture every now and then is that they were not really nourishing. They were spritual snacks.

I learned that I need more spiritually to be fully nourished; snacks were fine but not sufficient.

Now I study regularly, pray constantly, worship, serve and give. I believe I'm on the right right level of the spiritual food pyramid.

But that popcorn machine that keeps turning out the snacks...that's a horse of different color.

No comments: