Wednesday, March 29, 2006

She Looks Great

I attended the funeral of my uncle, Lonnie Crawford, last week. He was the second uncle to pass in a two week period.

In attendance was my aunt, Saphine Thompson, from California. She flew back to Louisiana for both funerals.

To be 77 years old, she looks great. She and my mother look similar. Had she lived, she would have probably been as well preserved as Aunt Saphine.

There were about 50 people at the funeral, nearly all family members. Aunt Saphine, now the matriarch of the family, stood out.

I told her I want to sit down and pick her brain about family history. She told me to hurry up because she wasn't getting any younger.

She could have fooled me. She'll probably outlive us all.

At 77, I hope to have her presence, stamina, health and optimism. By that time she'll be 97 and and will still be clucking along and looking good!

It's amazing how beautiful a life can be when it's in God's hands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rev.

I know that seeing your aunt looking well really encouraged you. When we see our elders well preserved, it gives us the hope that we will be also.

I would encourage you to get that history from her as soon as possible though, because life is day by day--even a blessed one.

Nothing is more important as African Americans than to know our past. As Brother Malcolm X said, "Of all our studies, history is best qualified to reward our research.

Darek McCullers, Interim Pastor
Dry Creek United Church of Christ
Candor, NC